Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How Low Can't You Go?

It's been some time since my first post about following the 100 Days of Real Food 14-week mini challenges for eating better. Reason being, Hubby and I repeated the first week due to our lack of preparation. As we finished our second week challenge and entered into our third, I faced the ever pressing reality that eating healthy takes a lot of thought and preparation.

But let me not get ahead of myself. Here they are, the highs and lows of our second week challenge: 
Do not eat any food products that are labels as "low-fat", "lite", "light", "reduced fat", "nonfat".

IMG_9904

 As we came to the end of our first go at the first week challenge (before we had decided we needed to repeat it) we came home from grocery shopping with a gallon of 1% low fat milk and about a dozen nonfat yogurts. Some habits are difficult to break, even when you have every intention of breaking them. 

The reason we have always purchased 1% milk is merely a calorie counting one. However, what I have learned from 100 Days and other sources, is that the fats taken out of milk (making it low fat or nonfat) consist of nutrients that are actually good for you.*

*But of course, this is the type of "real food" that makes me wrinkle my nose and raise my eyes in that judgmental way that occasionally takes over me. The way I see it, so long as they are only removing good things, rather than putting in bad things, I don't see that food as not real or bad for me to eat.

However, the 100-calorie snack packs and slew of other prepacked items with the words "LOW FAT" screaming in bright bold colors are items that I am consciously avoiding. In all truth, I have been avoiding them for years after realizing that they don't fill me and ordinarily don't taste very good.

IMG_5446

With the exception of having to switch our milk drinking habits and having to overly screen our yogurt choices, this week was a cinch. It made me almost want to jump right into the next challenge.

I say almost.


No comments:

Post a Comment