Thursday, December 4, 2014

Recipe #27 and #28: Pie Crust and Chicken Pot Pie

Recipe: Perfect Pie Crust
Source: Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 20 minutes to make, plus freezer and thawing time
Ease: 3
Taste: 6
Leftover Value: 10
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep in the Strainer!

Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 1 hour*
Ease: 5
Taste: 9
Leftover Value: 6
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep in the Strainer!

*Does not include time to make the pie crusts or chicken since PW has them in the ingredients as if they have already been prepared.**  Plan ahead and make your pie crust and chicken at least a day in advance!

**Note: I am not that awesome.  I usually realize things like this much too late and have to postpone making the recipe.

Chicken Pot Pie is a recipe I have avoided for some time because I thought it was one of those recipes that should only be purchased as a frozen dinner.

Boy, was I wrong.

Homemade chicken pot pie is as comforting as comfort meals come, and the best part is that it really doesn't fall under the "super complicated" food category.

At least, I don't think so.

And I try to tell it like it is.

IMG_1280

You could easily skip one step by purchasing your own pie crust, but naturally, I made my own.

For two reasons:
1. My inner chef would never let me cheat and use a pre-made crust.
2. I needed to make pie crust as part of the recipe challenge.
3. PW says to use one of her pie crusts for that pot pie.

I've learned quite an abundance about pie crusts over the past few weeks.*  The best thing I learned is that they can and should be made ahead of time.  All pie crusts can be made a day ahead of time and left in the fridge.  However, PW's crusts (and probably all others, too) also can be frozen.

*Making four different kinds for Thanksgiving breakfast will do that.

IMG_1219

I made my PW pie crust and packaged them just as she instructs.  Three of them I froze to use at a later date (two were for her Flat Apple Pie) and one I used for the Chicken Pot Pie.

IMG_1259

I had to resist leaving the celery out of the veggie medley.  I have never been a fan of celery in any way shape or form.  I avoid it in soups and covet those who enjoy munching on raw sticks of it.  However, I was delightfully surprised to find it didn't bother me at all when eating the pot pie.

IMG_1260

The chicken for the pot pie is made the same way the chicken was prepared in Chicken Spaghetti.  I used a pretty large fryer chicken, so I ended up with a few cups extra.  I packed it up and froze it so I can make pot pie again in a few weeks with one less step!

IMG_1261

I call this picture "Snow Fell Down on Veggies".

IMG_1263

Yum, yum, yum!  At this point I had to resist the urge to grab a spoon and start gobbling this chicken and veggie mixture--it smelled that incredible!

I can show you exactly how confused I was about chicken pot pie.  It wasn't until I reached this point that I realized I only needed one pie crust.  For some reason I thought a pie crust was supposed to be placed on the bottom of the dish as well.

This left me with an extra pie crust (now in the freezer for the next time I make this recipe) and a breath of relief.

IMG_1275

The chicken mixture was a little much for the average pie plate, however, just because this is called chicken pot PIE doesn't mean you have to use a pie plate.* Any old casserole dish will work just as well.

*I, however, could not convince myself of this.

IMG_1278

Please make sure you serve this with the most buttery and creamy mashed potatoes possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment