Monday, December 1, 2014

Recipe 25: Chicken Spaghetti

Recipe: Chicken Spaghetti
Time: 2 hrs 
Ease: 2
Taste: 6
Leftover Value: 4
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain

IMG_0888

This dish taught me that Hubby hates casseroles.

It also taught me that I think I do, too.

IMG_0881

I had to do some of the prep for this at different points in the day due to my schedule, so I chopped my veggies first.*

*Note: I would recommend doing this while the chicken is cooking.

Cooking the chicken was the best part of this recipe.  The recipe calls for one cut-up fryer chicken.  You can either cut a fryer chicken up yourself or purchase one already cut-up at your local grocery store.  It's easier to buy it cut up, so naturally, that is the choice I made.  The chicken pieces are placed in a stock pot, covered with water, brought to a boil, then simmered for 25 minutes.

I have never made chicken this way before, but I certainly think I might start doing it more often.  It is a great way to get a load of shredded chicken, as well as broth.  Even if you don't use it for dinner, it's awesome to have shredded chicken on hand for lunches, snacks, etc.

IMG_0884

Did I mention that I was a little excited that the veggie colors were the colors of the Italian flag?

IMG_0886

There are things about this dish that I liked, but the overwhelming flavor of peppers throughout is, I think, what keeps me from loving it.

That and the fact that it uses cream of mushroom soup.  I learned this weekend that I absolutely and most definitely do not like mushrooms.*

*More on that later.

One of my favorite parts of the dish was that the noodles are boiled in the remaining chicken stock.  I probably could have simply eaten them with the chicken and been content.

IMG_0889

If you don't have a slight aversion to certain peppers, enjoy the flavor of cream of mushroom soup, and are a casserole lover---I'm sure you'll enjoy this meal.

If you're like me, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment