Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Recipe #60 and 61: Breakfast Burritos and Linguine with Clam Sauce

Recipe: Breakfast Burritos
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 1 hr
Ease: 3
Taste: 4
Leftover Value: Did not save leftovers
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain!

On Christmas Eve morning, only six recipes remained in my recipe challenge. To say I had high hopes in completing on Christmas Day is an understatement. I managed to trick myself into believing I was Super Woman until around 3:00 pm when I decided I would have to be content with finishing the day after Christmas.

Jonathan wanted to see the new Annie movie, so Joel and Mallory graciously agreed to go with us bright and early* to see it.

*Bright and early as in 10:00 am.

PW's Breakfast Burritos were the natural choice to make for them for breakfast considering the 12 eggs it uses would have been a complete waste to make for only Hubby and myself.

IMG_1766

Even with using frozen hash brown potatoes (which PW allows you to do, promise!), this recipe still took a solid hour to make. This is mostly due to the process of assembling the burritos, rather than chopping as was my issue with Migas. By the time I finished wrapping each burrito, I was a burrito wrapping pro.

IMG_1776

The taste of the burritos was just okay. It wasn't something that I would ever request someone to make for me, or something I would ever desperately crave enough to make it again myself. It does, however, work as a nice on the go breakfast, considering that each of my movie companions ate theirs as we headed out to the theater.

While I will more than likely never make them again, I will say this, if you are the kind of person who orders the breakfast burrito at McDonald's, this might be an at-home healthier solution for you.

Recipe: Linguine with Clam Sauce
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 30 min
Ease: 3
Taste: 9
Leftover Value: No leftovers!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

We had about an hour and a half to kill before heading to my parents' house to start our Christmas Eve festivities. While I had hoped to make PW's Potato Skins, Chocolate Cake and Linguine with Clam Sauce, I gave in to my human limitations and decided that I could only make one.

I had been on the fence* about the Linguine with Clam Sauce from the first time I saw it in the book. I have never had clams before, and the description of how Marlboro Man (PW's husband) reacted to this meal when she first made it for him hurt more than helped my preset opinion.

Note: There were actually only a few recipes in the book I felt this way about. More about that in the final summation!

Knowing this might not be a recipe I would love, and also knowing it might not be a recipe Hubby would even be slightly interested in, I made it as a light lunch. My brother, Joel, and his wife, Mallory, will pretty much eat anything I cook--they aren't picky at all, and they flatter me with praise, so it's nice to have them around.

IMG_1779

Frying the clams was the worst part of this recipe. My entire kitchen smelled like a seafood market.

IMG_1786

After the clams and garlic fried for a little together, a white wine cream sauce is created. This cream sauce is so divine it made me completely forget about whether or not I liked clams.*

Note: I think I do, but I'm still not sure.

IMG_1791

I plan to make this substituting chicken for the clams, and occasionally, without any meat at all!

Mallory, who loves clams, said that when she makes this (because she loved it so much) she will use half the amount of noodles so that there will be more clams per serving. She's certainly right. If you want a lot of clams per bite, the recipe calls for too much pasta for this to happen.

My favorite part of this recipe was that from start to finish it took less than a half hour. My second favorite part was that within another half hour the pan was empty because the entire meal had been devoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment