Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Recipes #41-45 Impromptu Dinner Party


The event I originally planned to make PW’s sangria for was moved to a later date, as in, a later date in the New Year.  Considering that her sangria contains two 1.5 liter bottles of wine, I knew it wasn’t something I could make only for Hubby and myself.

IMG_1526
Have at least a 6 liter container ready.  There is a lot of fruit in this recipe!


Recipe: Sangria
Time: 30-45 min prep (based on how quickly you can cut up fruit) and at least 2 hours fridge time
Ease: 2
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10, Hubby has been having a glass everyday since!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_1583


This sangria is intense due to a few different elements.   For starters, it has a massive amount of fruit most of which requires a lot of slicing.*

*Note to self: Never attempt to cut up lemons, limes, or oranges without a serrated knife.  Anything else will just make you angry.

Also, she adds a cup of orange flavored vodka and rum, as well as, a cup of sugar. 

Goodness!

I quickly invited my SIL, Sam, and her boyfriend, Kurt over to enjoy this delectable sangria and dinner.  I figured I could bang out the sangria and at least two other recipes.
Two soon turned into four.

It was quite a mish moshed meal, but it was delicious, adventurous, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

IMG_1576
I love my family, but they stink at taking pictures.

With Spicy Pulled Pork as the main entrée, there weren't many side dishes left in the book that would mesh well.  Instead, I decided to make a few of her starters.  I’m still learning how to make it so that everything isn’t done all at once when I make a big meal.  Luckily, pulled pork is an item that can sit in the crock-pot once it is done (That is assuming you didn’t already just cook the whole thing in the crock pot.  In that case, it can stay in the crock-pot—I mean, really, aren’t pulled pork and crock-pot synonymous?).

IMG_1542

Recipe: Spicy Pulled Pork
Time: 6-7 hrs
Ease: 1
Taste: 9
Leftover Value: 9
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_1574

The pork was divine.  The recipe says that it cooks in the oven on 300 for 6-7 hours.  Mine, unfortunately, was done in six hours, about an hour and a half before our guests were arriving.  After Hubby “pulled” it apart, I had him toss it into the crock-pot.  I put the crock to “Keep Warm” and kept adding half a cup of water as needed.  The pork was served with warm flour tortillas as PW recommends.  I never would have thought to serve it that way, but the flour and pork combo was delicious.

Here is the run down of the starters I served before the pork:

Recipe: Jalapeno Poppers
Time: 45 min, at least
Ease: 10
Taste: 8 (you'll understand better from my description below)
Leftover Value: No leftovers!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain*

*Note: This is only for wimps like me.

IMG_1569

The cashier at Shop Rite thought I was absolutely crazy when she picked up my bag of jalapenos.  She looked at me and I’m pretty sure made a noise that meant I was crazy.  She continued to tell me how hot jalapenos are, but that she likes to eat them whole.  I quickly told her my intentions and suddenly I wasn't a crazy lady to her any longer.

This recipe takes more time and caution than I am ever willing to give to food again.  In case you are unfamiliar with working with jalapenos, you must avoid touching the seeds at all cost.  That is where the heat is packed and if you make contact with it, you’ll feel it.

I’m not too big on spicy things, though I am a lover of hot wings.  I prefer subtle spice.  Originally, I wasn’t going to sample these at all, that’s how turned off to them I was by the time they were finished cooking.  However, as part of the challenge, I forced myself through a bite.  The flavor was great, and if I was a spice lover, I’m sure I would have eaten five or six.  However, I am admittedly not a spice lover and therefore not ashamed to tell you that I spat my bite out in the trash.

Recipe: Artichoke Dip
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 30 minutes
Ease: 4
Taste: 8
Leftover Value: 7
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_1547

IMG_1578

I didn't know what to expect with this artichoke dip.  I’m not too big on chips and dips to start with, so I didn't have high hopes.

Surprisingly, I loved it.  Sam told me that she has often seen it with spinach.  I think that is an addition I’ll try to make next time.  The dip is served warm.  PW says that it can even be used on sandwiches.  I served it with potato and tortilla chips.  We probably ate over half the bowl—even the men loved it!

Recipe: Onion Strings
Time: 1 hr soak in buttermilk, 15 min to fry all
Ease: 5
Taste: 7
Leftover Value: 2
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain

IMG_1565

IMG_1561



This was my least favorite recipe of the night.  The oil the onion rings fried in darkened quickly due to the amount of loose flour.  They were delicious enough, but far too much work.

For dessert, I attempted crème brulee again.  I think you’ll agree, I had much better success with this recipe using crème brulee dishes.

IMG_1589

IMG_1597

No comments:

Post a Comment