Friday, November 14, 2014

Recipe #22: Meatloaf

Recipe: Meatloaf
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 1 hr 15 min
Ease: 2
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_0785

I want you to take all your preconceived notions about meatloaf and throw them to the wind.

I have never taken issue with meatloaf.  This is probably because my mom always served it with mashed potatoes.  There was a certain point in time where I only wanted to eat mashed potatoes.  Thank goodness my second grade teacher convinced me that eating only mashed potatoes all the time wouldn't be a very intelligent choice.

Otherwise, I would have turned into a potato.

IMG_0791

I still serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes because there will never be another way in my mind to serve meatloaf.*  

I knew this meatloaf was a winner when Hubby raved about it.  Until I made PW's meatloaf, Hubby wasn't as excited as I was for meatloaf dinner.  But now, well, it is in his top five favorite meal list.

*Except maybe with macaroni and cheese?  Oh boy, wouldn't that be adventurous?

First, and of utmost importance, is that you line the broiler pan (because everyone cooks their meatloaf on broiler pans, right?) with tin foil.  This will save on clean up later.

IMG_8100


Another reason I love meatloaf---it's an easy meal.  I love a dish that can be made in one bowl.  That saves my head from spinning rapidly out of control as I look around my disheveled kitchen once dinner is finished.

IMG_8124


Here is why I think Hubby really likes this meatloaf.  Are you ready?

IMG_8122


Bacon!  How could any man resist a meatloaf laced with bacon?

Hubby, however, will claim the reason he loves this meatloaf is that the consistency is moister than most meatloaf.  He chalks this up to the fact that Parmesan is mixed in with the ground beef and breadcrumbs.

Here is my favorite part:

IMG_0776

Perhaps a close second to my love for mashed potatoes growing up would be my love for ketchup (butter being the other condiment fighting for second place).  This ketchupy sauce has all the right things in it: ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and hot sauce!  I love it.

IMG_0780

Ketchup was a part of my meatloaf growing up, too.  At the last fifteen minutes of bake time my mom would pull the meatloaf out of the oven and slather it with ketchup. 

You might remember PW's Comfort Meatballs and how I said they reminded me of meatloaf.  This meatloaf is what came to mind as I ate the surprisingly delicious comfort meatballs.

IMG_0793

This meatloaf is special to me, not only because it is delicious, not only because my Hubby loves it, but because I made it on the day I met my third sister-in-law.  My brother, Joel, brought Mallory over my house to introduce her to me just as Hubby and I had finished eating dinner.  I can't resist feeding people, so naturally, I offered her some of our leftovers.  She ate two servings and then we talked for three hours straight.  So, for now and always, I associate this meal with her.

Is that weird or heartwarming?  I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. I hated meatloaf as a child, then I read this post and decided maybe I should give it another try. I mean come on, it has bacon! It was delicious, and even my brother and sister who also hated meatloaf as kids liked it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete