Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Recipe #15 and #16: Oatmeal Crispies and Angel Sugar Cookies

Recipe: Oatmeal Crispies 
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 1 hr 10 min (Depending on how long you leave the rolls to chill--these can be frozen for 3 months!)
Ease: 3
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 8
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep in the Strainer!

Recipe: Angel Sugar Cookies
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 1 hr 25 min
Ease: 2
Taste: 8
Leftover Value: 8
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep in the Strainer!

IMG_0637

I have never been a big fan of oatmeal.  Not in breakfast form.  Not in cookie form.

Pioneer Woman's Oatmeal Crispies have changed my entire viewpoint on oatmeal.

IMG_0615

I may have added some chocolate chips.  But, no worries, PW said I could in the suggested 'variations' at the end of the recipe.  I found that 1 and 1/2 cups worked perfect.

IMG_0618

It was a little unclear as to whether or not the cookies had to be chilled before they were baked.  In the case of the following Angel Sugar Cookies she distinctly says to chill them for an hour.  For the Oatmeal Crispies she tells us only to "chill the rolls until ready to use".  

I do like that she reminds us that cookie dough freezes well.

IMG_0625

I let the cookies bake about five minutes longer than her suggested 10 minute baking time because I found they weren't turning the perfect golden brown I wanted.  They were soft, warm and delicious.  However, they did harden so I'm not sure if that was because I had them continue to bake longer or if it was simply bound to happen. 

IMG_0621

Final word on the subject: these cookies are going on my Christmas cookie repertoire.

IMG_0622

The Angel Sugar Cookies were even easier to make than the Oatmeal Crispies.  The worst part was waiting an hour for the dough to set in the refrigerator.  However, the final step shows why this part is highly necessary.

IMG_0629

After using an ice cream scoop to form the cookies, using the bottom of a glass that has been rubbed with butter and dipped in sugar--um, yum!--smoosh* down each cookie with the bottom of the glass.

*Smoosh is not a word.  Smush is not a word.  They should be.

IMG_0633

IMG_0634

I often prefer to do the nitty gritty parts of baking alone, but this is my favorite kind of company to have:

IMG_0636

PW says that the Angel Sugar cookies don't travel well, but I've found that with the right sturdy container, it can be done and these cookies can be shared with friends near and far.

IMG_0643

No comments:

Post a Comment