Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The I'm-Being-Good Brownie

Recipe: Dark Chocolate Whole-Wheat Brownies
Source: 100 Days of Real Food
Time: 30 minutes
Ease: 2
Taste: 4 
Leftover Value: 8
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain

IMG_0284

Here is my point of view on making substitutions for wonderful things like white sugar, white flour, butter, and eggs: If it works, let's do it!*  I've said time and time again my feelings on whole-wheat flour and how anymore it simply is not allowed in my kitchen.  However, I'm still debating my stance on white whole-wheat flour.  It's not quite as cardboard-like as your regular whole-wheat flour, however, it isn't exactly as smooth and inviting as good ole' unbleached white flour.  

*And of course, if your health dictates that you can't have these things, then of course, make substitutions!!

I've substituted applesauce for eggs, black beans for butter, and I've even half and halved my flours to incorporate some of the good stuff.  In the end, in my humble unprofessional opinion, there is no perfect substitute for the basics in the traditional world of baking.

With that said, enter Dark Chocolate Whole-Wheat Brownies.

IMG_0238

I sensed these brownies were not going to be perfection, but I wanted my guilty conscience to feel better about the continual snacking that I do.  These brownies use white whole-wheat flour, coconut oil, and offer a choice between honey or maple syrup.  I thought the maple syrup would be too... mapley...so I used honey the first go 'round.

When I started mixing I ran into an issue with an ingredient in the ingredient list: 1 to 2 eggs.

What is that supposed to mean?  Shouldn't the recipe's creator have known what is best regarding the number of eggs?

I knew from the hundreds of times that I have punked out and made boxed brownies that the difference in the numbers of eggs used will be the difference between a fudgey vs cakey brownie.  Because of the high amount of coconut oil and honey (1/2 cup each!) I thought a more cakey brownie would better spread those flavors.

I was wrong.  That extra egg made the brownies the densest, driest, blandest brownies of my entire existence.

IMG_0246

Not to be outdone by a simple brownie, I decided to make them again, this time with only one egg and maple syrup instead of honey.  In the first version, not only had they been drier than the dessert sands, the honey flavor overpowered the brownie, even more so than the flavor of chocolate.

IMG_0278

With the maple syrup and one egg they came out to have a better consistency, but it was still not a fudgey brownie.  The flavor throughout was much more enjoyable, but ultimately they were still rather dry and unexciting.  I suppose if you were on a strict diet and couldn't eat traditional brownies these would certainly work to feed the craving.  Since that does not exist in my life, I'm letting these bad boys go down the drain.*

One positive about them was that they were super easy to cut into squares.  I'm sure you've experienced cutting brownies and having their edges move with your knife as you attempt to slice a line down the pan.  These brownies stayed put, allowing me to make a beautifully clean cut each time.

IMG_0283

*Note: My sister-in-law, Mallory, who is currently on a major health kick (she lost over 20 pounds using My Fitness Pal**) loved these brownies.  Of course, she has cut a lot of unhealthy fats and processed foods out of her diet so her tastes I'm sure have changed a little thanks to her healthier lifestyle.  That said, don't expect to be in chocolate heaven with these.

**My Fitness Pal is pretty much my favorite app for tracking my daily calories.  If you are looking to lose weight it is a fabulous way to hold yourself accountable and to see results.

1 comment:

  1. Based on the title of the article I was excited about these......then I read the results. :(
    Have you tried running the wheat flour through your food processor to get a smoother texture like white flour? Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete