Saturday, October 18, 2014

Recipe #1 and #2: Pico de Gallo and Guac

Recipe: Pico de gallo
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: This depends completely on how much you plan to make and how fast you can chop
Ease: 2--unless, of course, you aren't very good with a knife
Taste: 7
Leftover Value: There were no leftovers, however, PW notes that it will not keep for long in the fridge.
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_0331

Recipe: Guacamole
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: If you have ready made pico de gallo on hand, 10 minutes tops
Ease: 2
Taste: 8
Leftover Value: Again, no leftovers, but similar to the pico de gallo, guacamole will not last long in the fridge.
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

These two recipes come from the "Starters" section of The Pioneer Woman Cooks.  Since pico de gallo and guacamole intertwine not only naturally, but also in PW's book, I made them both as a way of starting this challenge off running.

I have only one complaint towards the pico de gallo recipe.  There are no quantities listed for the onions, tomatoes, or cilantro.  She only tells the amateur home chef to use equal quantities of all three.  Now, intially that seems all fine and well until we reach the jalapenos.  She says to use 1 or 2 jalapenos.  One can imagine that the jalapeno amount is not to be anywhere equal to the previously measured amount of the first three ingredients.  However, what dictates when to use 1 or 2?  This was tricky for me, as I am trying to follow each recipe exactly as it is written.

IMG_0300

I used a pretty big jalapeno, sliced it in half and diced half of it for starters.  After mixing it with the onion, tomato, and cilantro, Mallory and I taste tested to see if it needed more spice.

It was perfect.  Since PW did not give specifics of the other ingredients here are the measurements I would give to this recipe:

2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups diced onion
bunch of cilantro (equaling 2 cups before it is chopped)
1 big jalapeno

IMG_0303

After those ingredients are mixed together, the juice of half of one lime is squeezed into the bowl.  The lime flavor didn't play through so well, so next time I would use the whole thing.

IMG_0309


After a sprinkle of salt, we followed her final direction, "...taste it with chips so the salt quantity is factored in."

IMG_0304

Not. A. Problem.

I served the pico and guac as an appetizer for my brother and sister-in-law.  They liked the pico de gallo, but they loved the guacamole.

IMG_0339

Again, PW doesn't include actual quantities.  She sort of helps us out by stating, "I like to allow three-quarters to one whole avocado per person", but that doesn't really help with knowing how much pico de gallo to make in advance because essentially her guacamole is mashing avocados and gently mixing in pico de gallo...a "big pile" of pico de gallo.

IMG_0315

Because I'm a pretty literal person, and I happen to need specifics in my life, I'm going to help you out here should these two recipes have peaked your interest.  Total the number of cups of tomatoes and onion used and use the same number of avocados as cups of tomato and onion.  (That is, unless you have monster sized or baby avocados).  I found that an average sized avocado blended nicely with one cup of pico de gallo.

IMG_0325

IMG_0326

Now I'm going to be honest with you.  I don't think I ever tried guacamole before.  I know, I know, I know, crazy!  Knowing how good avocado is for you, has always made me want to love it, but the green always turns me off.

That might also be why I've never been a big fan of kiwi.

Once I got past the green, I loved it!  The avocado adds enough coolness to the pico de gallo that I might have been able to get away with a little more jalapeno.

IMG_0334

The total time to prepare both took me an hour, but that was with chatting and reading and rereading the recipe a couple dozen times to make sure I hadn't missed some invisible quantity listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment