Thursday, October 9, 2014

Crumbs Bake Shop

I have never been a big fan of the cupcake craze.  

Don't get me wrong.  I am certainly a fan of cupcakes.  

I am not, however, a fan of paying $2.50 for a cupcake that can be eaten in four bites.  

There was one cupcake place I could get behind.  It was the first I ever visited, before they became big a big deal: Crumbs Bake Shop in NYC.  From the window, I saw the biggest most beautiful cupcakes of my life scream my name from inside their display case.  Not only were the cupcakes massive, probably the size of three of those tiny cupcakes combined, most were cream filled and stacked with all the bells and whistles that you want on a cupcake like sprinkles, cookies, cake crumbs, chocolate drizzles, and more.

They were a little pricier at $4.50, but for the size and the taste, they were more than worth it.

When I heard they had gone bankrupt I may or may not have had a moment of silence for them.

Then, while shopping in an IT'SUGAR Hubby spotted these: 

IMG_0061

They were marked half off because of the whole bankruptcy thing.  I figured it was my duty to this company to buy as many boxes as I could carry.

IMG_0064

I knew they were going to be phenomenal.  I even bought my sister-in-law, Kristina, a box for her birthday.

Yes, a cupcake mix is a totally normal birthday gift.

No, it wasn't the only thing I bought her!  

The Blackout Cupcake was always one of my favorites.  So to pay tribute to it, I made sure to follow every step according to the package so that I could achieve the same chocolate decadence the bake shop has always provided me.

It was almost as intense as if I had made them from scratch.

IMG_0070

The Happy Birthday Cupcake had me at sprinkles...in the batter.

IMG_0212

Eat your heart out funfetti; this is the real deal.

IMG_0221

I wasn't feeling quite as ambitious when I made these so I didn't decorate them as fancy (translation: I didn't follow the directions).

They were still delicious.  The cream cheese icing in particular.

IMG_0227

I leave you with some of the best, hopefully accurate, news ever.  As I did a little research on Crumbs to write this post, I found this article: Crumbs Bake Shop to Reopen Stores After Court Approval

Cross your fingers with me that this is true.  I'm hoping it is.  If you visit Crumbs website it certainly seems like it might be.

Until then, visit your closest IT'SUGAR and ask if they have any cupcake mixes left.  I sure hope they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment