Friday, April 5, 2013

Cookie Bars for Easter

Recipe: Cadbury Egg Cookie Bars
Source: The Picky Palate
Time: 1 hr 15 min, includes 30 minutes of cooling time
Ease: 2
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

I'm going to be completely honest as I start this post.  I do not normally eat Cadbury Creme Eggs.  The creme part just isn't my thing. 

Whew, glad that's off my chest.

But I do love Cadbury chocolate and the solid Cadbury eggs that are coated in a sugary shell.


The key ingredient to this recipe is: Cadbury Creme Eggs!

Shocking, I know.


I suppose because I've avoided these guys for so long, I had no idea that when bit into or sliced open they look like a real egg inside.

By the way, this was one of the hardest parts of this recipe.  As you can see from the above picture, not all the eggs sliced nicely in half.  


Another issue I faced was making sure the creme stayed with the chocolate shell instead of being wasted to my plate.

And while the Cadbury Creme Eggs were the key ingredient to these delicious cookie bars, the secret ingredient was a yellow cake mix.


It definitely feels like cheating whenever I use cake or pudding mix in a recipe.  Yet I've learned that the positives of using mixes outweigh my troubled heart.

1. It makes the recipe a tad easier to make.
2. Therefore, it lessens the amount of ingredients needed.
3. No one can tell the difference when they eat it.

While I love fooling my dessert partakers, my favorite part of using a mix is really lessening the amount of ingredients needed.  These cake bars needed only six ingredients: Cadbury Creme Eggs, butter, canola oil, yellow cake mix, chocolate chips, 1 egg--from a chicken, not chocolate.

For these cookie bars, the ingredients are literally dumped into a bowl and mixed.  Then the Cadbury Creme Eggs are lightly mixed in, they bake, and if you can wait 30 minutes for them to cool they are so easy to slice up and serve.


Don't they look divine?


That hunk of Cadbury chocolate in the corner of this bar just isn't right.  It's taunting me.  I might just have to run out and see if there are any Cadbury Creme Eggs left in the sale aisle of my local Acme.


The underbelly of the cookie bar is my favorite part.  The gooeyness of the creme from the Cadbury Eggs finds its way down there and leaves a yummy caramel layer on the bottom.

I'm sorry to be writing about these after Easter.  Hopefully, all the Cadbury Creme Eggs haven't sold out of your local grocery store and you can rush out today like me and buy a truck load in hopes that they'll last you until next Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment