Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Watermelon and Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe: Watermelon and Vanilla Ice Cream
Source: Inspired by the Fourth of July
Time: 5 minutes at most
Ease: 5 (cutting a watermelon is a lot more difficult than cutting a pineapple)
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10
Down the Drain or Keep it in the Strainer:  Keep it in the Strainer

I have found the most wonderful and beautiful combination of food today.  I never would have thought this combination to be even merely satisfying, yet it rocked my world in a variety of different ways.

And here is how I know it truly was delicious.  There are times when you eat something and you are so hungry that you think it's awesome and then you go back to have it again at a time when you aren't so hungry and realize that it really wasn't so awesome.

Sorry, that last sentence was really long.

Well, this was the reverse.  I was so full from barbecue that I wasn't sure I could manage to eat anymore.  Yet, I recognized this as an amazing discovery in dessert and knew I had to forge on, lest others discover it's worth and devour it all right in front of me.

It began with watermelon.


Whenever we have watermelon at my parents' house, my dad hacks away huge circle slices for everybody.  If you're neat like my dad when you eat your circle, you'll carefully use your fork to slice around the entire outside of the red ring and then neatly cut square bites of deliciousness.

I always start out like that, but then get impatient.


Watermelon is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world of fruit.

My mom had also bought ice cream.  Now, most of the family gave her the 'eyes'.  The 'eyes' said, "Watermelon and ice cream?  Are you kidding?"

Yet, my soon-to-be sister-in-law Mallory did not give the 'eyes'.  She gave the 'look' that said, "Let's try it".

And try it we did.


I'm not sure what it was about the combination.  I can't use the 'salty and sweet' reasoning, because this was 'sweet and sweet'.  But something about the duplicity of the two sweetness-ess was incredible.  As I ate, I would get a little taste of ice cream on my fork, then dig into a bit of watermelon.

It was sweetly satisfying.

Seriously, try this out right now.

P.S.  When you're picking out your watermelon, make sure you find one that has a yellow spot.  That means it wasn't picked prematurely or moved around a lot when it should have been growing.

I tell you, because I care.


No comments:

Post a Comment