Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Donuts without the Dunkin'

Recipe: Chocolate Doughnuts
Source: Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Doughnut Mix
Time: 50 minutes total
Ease: 3
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10*
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer:  Keep it in the Strainer!

In order to tell you about this awesome dessert, I have to tell you about an awesome store.  The last time I was in Atlantic City hubby and I went into The Tropicana to shop.  There we found 'The Old Farmer's Almanac General Store'.  It was incredible.  For those aspiring after country decor for their home, this shop is heaven.

Therefore, I was on cloud 9.

You might recall that after Christmas this year I bought a mini donut maker and was in search for the perfect chocolate doughnut recipe.  Basically, I was looking for a chocolate cake donut.  Think the double chocolate donut at Dunkin' Donuts.  


My mini donut maker really is pretty wonderful.

By the way, I'm really confused on how to spell donut for this post.  The doughnut maker I have is spelled 'donut maker', and the donut mix is spelled 'doughnut mix', and spell check sees doughnut as spelled correctly, but does not like the spelling of donut.

Sorry.

In that store of my dreams, they had packaged mixes for doughnuts and muffins, jams, honeys, etc.  There was a magnetic attraction which instantly pulled me over to the chocolate doughnut mix and told me I must buy it.

The magnetic attraction is called my wonderful hubby.  In fact, he told me to buy two.  However, after looking at the $11.95 price tag, I instantly said no.

I'm so mad at the me back in March.

Because this right here is something incredible.

I've already scoured the internet so that I don't have to drive all the way to Atlantic City for my fix.  Amazon is taking care of me now: $18.78 for two boxes!

This little donut is getting iced.  It's a very exciting process.

Mixing the additional ingredients with the prepackaged mixes was very simple.  The only tricky thing is filling the donut pan with the batter.  I learned how to do this when I first got my donut maker.  I just poured the batter into a ziploc bag, cut off the corner of the bottom of the bag and used it as a pastry bag.

The recipe directed to use a donut pan and to cook the donuts in the oven for 10-12 minutes.  Using my donut maker, each batch was done in 5 minutes.  I had 24 mini donuts total.  Not that I ate.  That I made.


I had to set a few donuts aside so we could taste them leftover the next day.  They were so delicious that if I hadn't done that first, there wouldn't have been any left a few minutes later, let alone the next day.

*Hubby said the doughnut had a stronger cakey texture leftover and that if it's your style you might need a glass of milk with it.  Of course, if you gobble all the doughnuts down the instant you make them this won't be a problem for you.  I had coffee with my leftover doughnut.  It was marvelous.

I'm not sure if there is anything more tempting than a yummy chocolate donut!


No comments:

Post a Comment